FLR (M) Phase: Completed!

Yesterday was an extremely long day for both Dan and I, but I’m APPROVED!  I get to stay here on probationary citizenship for 2 years and after that I’ll be able to apply for dual citizenship.  It also means I get to work now, yay!

Dan had to get up and get ready for work at 8am yesterday.  I mentally prepared (slept) until 8:30 then starting double checking our documents.  I got a call from Dan after I had gotten out of the shower suggesting I take a taxi to the train station to meet him.  I had originally planned on walking, it’s about a 30 minute walk because I wanted to drop my cover letter and CV off at the LUSH store on the way (they’re hiring Christmas temps now).  I looked outside and it was quite windy and actually raining, not just drizzling, but whatever, it’s just water, so I told Dan I’d just buy and umbrella and walk and that would be fine.

Fine being that I arrived at the train station with soggy shoes, wet jeans up to my knees, and my hair resembling a rat nest.  I had purchased an umbrella from H & M, but gave up on using it when I saw the many inside out umbrella corpses littering the sidewalk.  I got to the station around 11, to pick up our tickets and meet Dan who was getting a taxi there straight from work.

Our train ride was about 2 hours long to get to Croydon.  We were there about an hour early for our appointment so we wandered the shopping mall and got some food.  We headed to the immigration building at 2:40 (an hour before our appointment) so that we could go through security.  Once through security we were sent off to another desk where the immigration office looked through our application for a while.  Then we received a ticket with our number on it.

We tried to go to the next floor to pay, but the guard wouldn’t let Dan through with me because it only said one applicant on my ticket.  So we had to go back to the desk so the officer could fix that.  Technically I was the only applicant, but your spouse is required to be at the interview with you so that was kind of strange.  We went upstairs to the payment area and UK Immigration took a large chunk of money.  Then we were directed to the waiting area where we had to wait for our ticket number to be called.

The chairs sucked in the waiting area.

While sitting there, I was looking through my application and realized I had misread one of the questions and started panicking.  But with the help of Dan’s Iphone and some frantic googling, I was able to fill in the information.  Our ticket number was called and I explained the issue to the IO and she said it wouldn’t be a problem (I had forgotten to declare that I had been fingerprinted for my fiance visa on the application).  She looked over our application and passports, entered some information into the system and told us to wait until I was called for my biometrics.

More waiting, then my ticket was called again.  I went into the biometrics area and filled out a declaration form, then my fingerprints and picture was taken and I went back to wait some more.

At this point, Dan and I knew we were waiting for the final interview and decision on my application.  It was rather nerve-wracking sitting in those uncomfortable chairs waiting for your number to be called.  Finally, we were called for the last time, went up to the IO’s desk and gave her our application, passports, and marriage certificate.  She then asked for our financial and accommodation documents.  She handed these along with our passports to another officer.  We waited while she entered some information into the system and then the other officer came back and handed her some paperwork.  She signed it and at this point we knew I was most likely approved.  She told me the application had been approved and handed me some paperwork to sign.  And that was that 🙂  We got there around 2:30 and got out around 4:30.

Our train tickets were off-peak so we had to wait to catch a train until after 7.  Ended up killing some time at a pub and then catching a train.  We didn’t get back to the flat until around 9:30.  I think both Dan and I are happy with the fact that we will not have to worry about any more visa crap for 2 years.  And I will be starting my job hunt on Monday so wish me luck!  xxx


About Mandy

29 year old, somewhat snarky, happily married, and always on the look out for a good recipe or latest beauty bargain.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to FLR (M) Phase: Completed!

  1. Burton Grannes says:

    Hi Mandy;
    Good luck on your job search! After all the rig-a-ma-role you went through
    I think you should just be handed a job-haha! I hope you get a nice
    relaxing job; sounds like you had enough stress for awhile.

    • penguinspam says:

      Thanks Grandma, I’ve been sending out my resume and contacting people all week so hopefully I will find something soon! Love you!

  2. Aunt Judy and Uncle Bub says:

    Congratulations on getting a tough day over with success! We will be praying for you to a get job. Thanks for the updates – we appreciate them.

    Love and miss you!

  3. Lynne Warzecha says:

    Good for you ~ bet you are glad that is over and done with. Good luck on the job search.Hope it won’t be a long search. Will say a prayer for the job hunt!
    Love, Uncle Lee and Aunt Lynne

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s